A growing emphasis on meeting energy requirements and boosting energy efficiency has increased demand for variable frequency drives (VFDs).
According to the International Energy Efficiency (IEE) report,
Before the Covid pandemic, the demand for energy in India was projected to increase by 50% between 2019 and 2030.
However, the growth during this period is closer to 35%. The report also revealed that India would see the largest increase in energy demand by 2040 in comparison to other countries.
So, saving energy in the country must be the priority of every individual as well as organization. As such, the government is encouraging the industry to reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. Also, the use of ABB AC Frequency Drive and Motors improves energy efficiency. Variable frequency drive (VFD) is a power conversion device that is available as AC Drives, DC Drives, and Servo Drives.
How ABB AC Frequency Drive and Motors Improve Energy Efficiency?
Motors are called workhorses of business. About 70% of industrial electrical energy is consumed by electric motors. Be it pumps that move fluid, to fans that move air or conveyors, compressors, and many other types of machines, all these solely depend on rotational forces, i.e., motors. No doubt, improved energy efficiency cannot be achieved overnight. But, determined efforts and the use of high efficiency motor-driven applications can be a good start.
With the above statistic, with high efficiency motors and low/medium-voltage AC drives it is possible to reduce carbon emissions, improve energy efficiency and save energy. Moreover, ABB AC Frequency Drive helps monitor the performance of motors within the process and get a clear image of where savings and improvements can be achieved.
● Energy Saving: ABB drive optimizes the speed of a pump or fan, thereby allowing you to save up to 30%-50% of energy. In some cases, you can save up to 80% of energy. Remember, even very minor changes in speed can yield large energy savings. However, these speed changes can be redundant and not required. Note that 10% speed reduction [5Hz] is equal to 27% of energy saving.
● Improved operational efficiency: ABB Frequency Drive can adhere to the exact needs for lubrication, cooling or airflow or pressure. Thus, they allow the process to perform optimally by increasing product quality and reducing wear and tear. You can eliminate the need for manual labor because the system controlled by drives starts up automatically at pre-set times.
● Savings on the electricity bill: An ABB AC drive lets the motor use only the required amount of energy. It runs the motors at partial load, which results in a 20%-50% contraction in energy consumption of the drive system. Quick reduction in electrical use leads to ensuring fast financial payback for the VSD investment.
● Controlled current: A VFD allows you to keep ‘starting current’ in control. It can start a motor at zero voltage and frequency, checking on motor winding flexing and heat generation. This leads to extending the motor life.
● Reduced power line disturbances: Using VFDs eliminates voltage sags that are caused generally in the power line. Voltage sags adversely affect voltage-sensitive devices, like sensors, proximity switches, and computers.
● Limits and adjusts torque: The AC Motor Drive can limit and adjust the amount of torque. So, the AC motor never surpasses this limit. This safeguards machinery from damage.
Typical applications that benefit from variable-speed drives
● Pumps (variable-torque load): ABB AC Drive ensures the motors drive a pump at the correct speed.
● Fans (variable-torque load): The interaction of AC drive saves energy, improves processes and reduces maintenance costs of many types of fans used to move air and gasses in industrial applications.
● Compressors (constant-torque load): A Variable Frequency Drive allows air compressors to manage pressure specifically and delivers precisely what the application needs.
● Conveyors (constant torque): ABB VSDs control conveyors. It makes sure a conveyor is moving at the right speed, preventing objects from falling from it, being damaged or causing a hazard.
Last But Not Least
ABB Variable Frequency Drive is designed to help you by reporting daily or hourly energy use. It will track total energy used, calculate money savings, and let you reduce emissions of carbon dioxide.